Monet's "Waterlilies" (L'Orangerie, Paris). One of NINE

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

O!

I remember this song (among others) from "Schoolhouse Rock":

Interjections/show excitement/or emotion...


I've had lots of "interjections" in the last 24 hours.  As most of you probably have heard, I was fortunate enough to be selected at random for a pair of tix to the taping of "Oprah's Surprise Spectacular."  Now unfortunately, these days when people hear "Oprah" and "Surprise" in the same sentence, it conjures up images of giving away anything from cashmere sweaters to cars to cruises.  I must admit, I was secretly hoping for a little something (like a Nook or Kindle or Canon SureShot), but I REALLY wanted just to be part of the experience.  It was, after all, TV history in the making.



Even though the whole show was a surprise to Oprah, she (well, her staff) did not disappoint.  I'll get my few gripes out of the way first.    The detailed list of instructions for the evening said that taping would start at 6 p.m.; doors to the United Center would open at 5 p.m.  Now, most people would have known it's impossible to cram 20,000 people through 8 doors and security checks in an hour.  So, taping didn't actually start until well after 7 p.m.  And we knew we were in for about 4 hours of no bathroom breaks.  There was also a lot of "work" to be done by the audience -- coordinating and choreographing white cards to be held up as a makeshift screen for some video images, finger lights (to be used in the VERY EXCITING musical number) and "pencils" (which was code for "get out the books the audience donated to stock school libraries in need").



The interjections then came at rapid fire:  Tom Hanks!  Tom Cruise!  Josh Groban! Patti LaBelle!  MADONNA!  BEYONCE!  Halle Berry!  Queen Latifah!  Diane Sawyer!  Rascal Flatts!  (They were an interesting choice -- the people beside me said, "Who is that?  Never heard of 'em.")

Beyonce's musical number was fantastic -- so fantastic she performed it twice.  We'll see what happens in the editing room.  The video clips and stories about Oprah's dedication to literacy and reading were also quite touching.  I'm also looking forward to seeing how all these things appear on TV.

Then, the second hour.  More interjections.  Will Smith!  MICHAEL JORDAN!  (Complete with Chicago Bulls theme music.  I have to say, THAT was spectacular.  I suppose a tribute to the Bulls was in order, given that this "Surprise Spectacular" overlapped with Surprise!  The Bulls are in the Eastern Conference Finals and Surprise!  They're supposed to play the Miami Heat at the United Center the same night you have Oprah's big party planned.  It was great to see MJ come home.



More surprises -- Jerry Seinfeld.  Jamie Foxx and STEVIE WONDER.  Simon Cowell, who introduced Oprah's partial "heirs apparent" in TV-land: Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Nate Berkus, and Rosie O'Donnell.  Maria Shriver, on the day the story broke about the Governator's scandal.  Tyler Perry.  Kristen Chenowith sang "For Good" (from Wicked) while telling a story about Oprah's support of Morehouse College in Atlanta.  I must say, that was the moment which most closely prompted tears from me.  I won't give too many details -- you should watch on May 24.  But the gratitude and loyalty shown by those men to their alma mater -- wow.  THAT is something to envy.

Alicia Keys!  Maya Angelou!

And then the finale -- a rare appearance from Stedman.  Who introduced ARETHA FRANKLIN.  Her rendition of "Amazing Grace" -- wow.  No other words but "wow."  Church continued for the final song of the night -- "O Happy Day" as sung by Usher.



Being there live was indescribable.  I'm not generally enamored by fame, but to see so many celebrities up close (relatively) and untouched by Photoshop and/or Autotune (because they weren't needed) was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  Stevie and Aretha and Alicia and Kristen REALLY CAN SING.  Halle is flawlessly beautiful, as are Maria and Beyonce.  (And Beyonce can sing and dance, too.  Holy cow.  Again -- watch for that on the 23rd.)



Oprah, who is known for being on the giving end of surprises and who (I'm SURE) knows the depth and breadth of her culture-sculpting influence, seemed to receive the evening with the humility and excitement we also know her for.  I know not everyone is a fan, but I do appreciate that she has used her power for good, to give voice to the voiceless.  And she looked great in dark purple (my favorite color).

What a surreal experience to have a "This is Your Life" evening, and yet know that your "life" -- both personally and professionally -- is most likely far from over.  As I'm typing this, I'm watching O on one of the entertainment news shows.  I think she said it spot-on: "Most people don't live to see this."  (And she also said that the Morehouse men were one of her favorite all-time moments ever.  Glad we agree on that.)

While I wouldn't label myself an "Ultimate Viewer" (as the audience as a whole was labeled), I will miss The Oprah Winfrey Show.  This is where I first learned about Kiva, Half the Sky, The Girl Effect, and Dr. Phil's "How's that workin' for ya?"  While these represent maybe 10 shows out of hundreds and hundreds, they were enough to change my course, just a little.

Some are asking, "Who will be the next 'Oprah'?" as if Oprah can be replaced.  I think most have accepted that won't happen.  BUT, it will be interesting to see who the next great "culture shaper" will be...

Please, not Charlie Sheen.





Next blog post:  Most likely about my next adventure with a one-name wonder.  BONO.  Tix to U2 at Soldier Field in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment